100 years of the National Institute for Medical Research
Sir Charles Robert Harington FRS (1897-1972)
Charles Harington was the second Director of NIMR, from 1942-62. He was an outstanding biochemist and had a conscientious and rigorous approach to both research and administration, yet he valued academic freedom and creativity.
Harington’s services were in demand after his retirement from NIMR. He continued as a Consultant Adviser to the Secretary of the MRC until 1967, and served as Second Secretary. He helped to establish the new MRC Biological Research Board and was also closely involved in planning the Clinical Research Centre at Northwick Park which opened formally in 1970. In his free time, Harington revived an interest in history and classics, and read Greek and Latin texts. He shared these interests with his wife, mother, and his good friend Harold Himsworth, former Secretary of the MRC.
1897 Born 1 August
1916-19 Studied chemistry at University Cambridge
1919-20 Postgraduate studies with George Barger at Edinburgh University
1922 Lecturer in Chemical Pathology, UCH Medical School
1929-42 Editor of Biochemical Journal
1931 Fellow of Royal Society. Professor at UCH Medical School
1937 Head of all Departments of Pathology at UCH Medical School
1938-42 Member of MRC Council
1942 Director of NIMR
1944 Royal Medal, of the Royal Society. Royal Society Croonian Lecture