Martin Rivers Pollock (1914-1999)
Martin Rivers Pollock worked at NIMR from 1949 to 1965, leading research on bacterial chemistry and enzymology.
Martin Rivers Pollock was born on 10 December 1914. He studied medicine at Trinity College Cambridge and University College Hospital Medical School, qualifying in 1940. His subsequent appointments included as a bacteriologist for the Emergency Public Health Laboratory Service in 1941 and the Medical Research Council to work on infective hepatitis. He joined the MRC Bacterial Chemistry Research Unit at the Lister Institute for Preventive Medicine under Director Sir Paul Fildes. Following Fildes’ retirement in February 1949, the remaining group, led by Pollock, transferred to Mill Hill in December 1949 to set up the new Division of Bacterial Chemistry, with a focus on enzymology and antibiotic resistance. In 1965 Pollock took the position of Professor of Biology at the University of Edinburgh, where he established the Department of Molecular Biology. He retired in 1976.