Harold King FRS (1887-1956)
Harold King’s career at NIMR spanned more than 30 years, from 1919 to retirement in 1950.
King was appointed as a chemist in the Department of Biochemistry and Pharmacology at NIMR in June 1919, having previously worked in an industrial analytical laboratory and at the Wellcome Physiological Research Laboratories.
He was also attached to the Wellcome Chemical Works at Dartford during World War One, to manufacture salicylic acid. At NIMR he forged extensive contacts with industry and served as Secretary of the MRC’s Chemotherapy Committee. He became Head of a separate Division of Chemistry (chemical) in the early 1940s.
King was described by Harington, as “one of those rare individuals who are perfectly suited to a lifetime of work in a research institute. Quiet and retiring in disposition he enjoyed the sheltered environment that such an institute can offer and in which he could spend his days almost uninterruptedly at the laboratory bench which he loved.” King was awarded a CBE in 1950.