Almroth Wright FRS (1861-1947)
Trained in medicine, Almroth Wright held various research positions in Germany, London and Sydney before becoming Professor of Pathology at the British Army Medical School in 1892. Here he worked on immunisation against typhoid fever, resulting in routine anti-typhoid in the British Army. In 1902 he became Professor of Pathology at St Mary’s Hospital. In 1914 he joined the staff of the MRC Central Research Institute, but on the outbreak of war became involved in production of anti-typhoid vaccine and the treatment of wound infections, mostly in Boulogne. After the war he apparently felt exhausted and rather than take up the Directorship at NIMR, he returned to St Mary’s. He was knighted in 1906.